Miles Halter is tired of his boring and lonely life at home in Florida, so he decides to go a boarding school in Alabama, hoping that a new beginning might give him a new impetus. At the boarding school he makes friends with a group of youngsters - including the beautiful and intelligent yet unhappy Alaska Young - who open a whole new world for him.
Looking for Alaska is a novel about adolescents in their final years at school who are discovering friendship, love and desire, and learning how trust, responsibility, grief and loss are an integral part of human experience.

Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011

Pages 160-196

From Alina:
The atmosphere is still the same and this make it very difficult to enjoy reading the book. It makes me very sad reading how Miles and the Colonel try do figure out why and how Alaska died. Always the question ''why?'' and no answer. I feel with the characters and also the tension between them is ready to hand. In some situations I thought the Colonel and Miles break up and never agree again, but then they are closer to each other than ever. So you can say the reader gets to know more and more about the characters .
I liked the ritual in the end, although putting cigarettes in a lake is not very eco-friendly. But first of all I hope the mood gets better into the next pages.

1 Kommentar:

  1. From Sophie:
    I agree with Alina in most points. It's really hard to read such a sad and depressing book and I also don't like that there is no answer to the question "why? “ This annoys me more than I can say. I also liked the ritual in the end. I don't just see the eco-friendliness but also the money! Even if I don't smoke, I know that cigarettes are expensive. Throwing cigarettes into a small river isn't good, in no way except of the ritual. But did she really want FOUR cigarettes?
    I don't feel with the characters at all. Yes, it is sad that Alaska died, but I care about that how I care about dead ones in a war. This is also sad but I don't know the faceless people.

    AntwortenLöschen